The Ottoman shops on the main street of the settlement. ©Ephorate of Antiquities of Lasithi.

Commercial Shops

In the southernmost part of the central road, there is a rather significant number of shops and cafes with large "shop doors" and glass openings on their facades. Almost all the shops have an upper floor room used as an auxiliary space. Wooden-framed constructions, known as "tsatmades", are also used in these shops. It is a wooden framework filled with stones or other lightweight materials and then covered with plaster.

In the historical records of the island from 1879 to 1904, 103 merchants, 12 retailers, 19 grocers, 6 butchers, 15 coffee sellers, 9 shoemakers, and 3 tobacco cutters and sellers are recorded, whom we can envision bringing life to the shops on the main street, and also the shops along the dock, even though they are demolished today.

Today, the restored Ottoman-era shops on the western side of the central road function as exhibition spaces where aspects of the island's history are presented.

Photo Gallery

Aspect of the shops of the Ottoman period ©Ephorate of Antiquities of Lasithi

The exhibition area in the interior of a shop of the Ottoman era. ©Ephorate of Antiquities of Lasithi